A design system is a collection of documents, articles, examples, code snippets, design guidelines, and components for the product. It is usually host
Design System Features
- Design source file
- Mobile guideline
- Data Visualization
Design tokens are all values that are needed to construct and maintain a design system
Like- Color, Typography, spacing. Ex- primary-color, econdary-color, cta-bg-color.
These values are used in place of hard-coded values in order to provide flexibility, and symmetry across all products
Best Practices while Creating a Design System
- Keep scalability in mind
- Focus on reusability of components
- Efficient communication across teams/stakeholders
- Keep it simple
- Put smart documentation
- Create a proper roadmap
- Do proper versioning
- Proper testing of all features
- Make it adaptable maintainable and testable
- Make it contextual- demonstrating, context will include showing screenshots/videos of component
- Keep an issue tracker tool like Jira for BUG reporting
- Set rules on how someone can contribute
- post rollout follow-up with user and client
- Setup a feedback collection tool
Design System Success Metrics
Adoption Metrics Are teams aware of using and engaging with the design system?
1.1 Number of queries around using/engaging with system design per week. Fewer queries indicate good adoption metrics.
1.2 Percentage of products of a company are built with a design system. A low number will indicate bad adoption metrics.
Outcome Metrics- Are we successfully achieving the goals that we had set with the design system?
Ex- How much time will require for a module to get delivered with and without the design system.
Less time with the design system will indicate good outcome metrics.
Thanks, Happy Learning👏👏👏👏 …